Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A question for the folks at Rocky Mountain Offshore

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a RMOS member and am hoping that your team or one of your members may be able to assist me with some questions that I have concerning the purchase of a trickle charger or float charger to assure that my recently purchased 700 Amp Deep Cranking Marine Battery does not become obsolete over the course of the winter.

I believe that I need to purchase either a "float charger" or "trickle charger" to assure that the battery periodically receives a charge and then is allowed to deplete. Which is better for this type of battery? How do I go about determining the particular type of charger that I need for this particular type of battery (i.e. amperage, difference between marine vs. automotive, etc....) I am finding chargers that range in price from $19.99 to $125.00. Any guidance that you could provide would be much appreciated.

Cordially,


Nathanael A. Koch

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your question.

    A simple trickle charge on the lowest setting will do the trick. Some charges maintain on demand, while others have to be set. The nice thing about these units is that they charge on demand. This means that the system will kick on as appropriate.

    These can be used on Starting or Deep Cycle batteries.

    The key is to pull your batteries out of your boat at the end of each season and maintain throughout the winter months.

    Average life of a Marine battery should last one; four to five years.

    ReplyDelete